Johanna Zemmelink is a recognized total rewards expert, accomplished in all areas of broad-based compensation (and one of the few who has done pay equity work in both Ontario and Quebec). In the course of her career of over 25 years, she has worked with hundreds of organizations of all sizes which has led her to a unique and compelling vision of how HR can be optimized to the benefit of the whole organization.
Johanna is President and Principal Consultant of JZ + Associates, a division of Johanna Zemmelink + Associates Inc., an independent total rewards consulting firm operating since the beginning of 2014. She is an accomplished expert in all areas of broad-based Compensation, including development of Total Rewards strategy and design of base pay structures, variable pay programs, and sales compensation plans.
With over 24 years of human resources consulting experience gained at two major consulting firms, (most recently at Aon Hewitt for 16 years), Johanna has a track record of meeting and exceeding client expectations with a focus on engaging with and meeting the needs of the business. She is a professional who also intimately understands the needs of the internal HR function, having served as the Director of Compensation in an internal consulting role for one of Canada's largest employers.
Areas of Specialization
Johanna's consulting work covers over one hundred private, public and not-for-profit sectors and a broad range of industries. She focuses primarily on the development of integrated total reward strategies as well as of robust, foundational compensation programs to support business/ organization objectives, in particular:
- Developing total reward strategies articulating the philosophy as well as guiding and design principles around total rewards
- Designing and implementing job design and job levelling programs (both traditional job evaluation and role profiles)
- Designing base pay delivery programs
- Designing, modeling and implementing incentive pay and sales compensation programs
- Integrating compensation programs with talent management programs
- Analyzing market competitiveness of total compensation
- Serving as an expert resource on complex pay equity/legal files
An alumna of the University of Waterloo, Johanna holds an honours BA in Economics and Applied Studies with a minor in Personnel and Administrative Studies. She is an active member of the GTA Rewards Association and WorldatWork, having spoken at the 2012 WorldatWork Canadian conference on the integration of talent management and reward programs.